Je Suis Charlie - About The Massacre & Meaning

"Je suis Charlie" (French pronunciation: ​[ʒə sɥi ʃaʁ.li], French for "I am Charlie") is a slogan adopted by supporters of freedom of speech and freedom of the press after the 7 January 2015 massacre in which twelve people were killed at the offices of the French satirical weekly newspaper Charlie Hebdo in Paris, France. It identifies a speaker or supporter with those who were killed at the Charlie Hebdo shooting, and by extension, a supporter of freedom of speech and resistance to armed threats. Some journalists embraced the expression as a rallying cry for the freedom of self-expression.

The slogan was first used on Twitter and spread to the Internet at large. The website of Charlie Hebdo went offline shortly after the shooting, and when it returned it bore the legend Je suis Charlie on a black background, a pdf containing translations in seven languages was added shortly thereafter. The statement was used as the hashtag #jesuischarlie and #iamcharlie on Twitter, as computer printed or hand-made placards and stickers, and displayed on mobile phones at vigils, and on many websites, particularly media sites.

Within two days of the attack, the slogan had become one of the most popular news hashtags in Twitter history. Je suis Charlie was embraced worldwide, was used in music, displayed in print and animated cartoons (including The Simpsons), and became the new name of a town square in France.

On 12 January, Charlie Hebdo revealed the cover of its 14 January issue, set to be published a week after the attacks began. The cover features a cartoon of the Islamic prophet Muhammad shedding a tear while holding a Je suis Charlie sign, below the words "Tout est pardonné" ("All is forgiven").

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Je_suis_Charlie

• Moderators

Personally I don't find anything funny to mess with faith or religion of others.

Muslims march in Paris on 11 February 2006 against the publication of caricatures of Muhammad.

1280px-Paris_2006-02-11_anti-caricature_

3 weeks after the `charlie hebdo attack` 30 ukrainians were killed by pro-russian russian army and I don't remember television to insist on this subject. Shitty mass-media propaganda. But when 12 guys, who used to know very well what they do, were killed, omg omg, je suis charlie, omg omg. I don't CARE. They were on their own risk.

Edited by Courage
  • Upvote 1

Personally I don't find anything funny to mess with faith or religion of others.

Muslims march in Paris on 11 February 2006 against the publication of caricatures of Muhammad.

1280px-Paris_2006-02-11_anti-caricature_

3 weeks after the `charlie hebdo attack` 30 ukrainians were killed by pro-russian russian army and I don't remember television to insist on this subject. Shitty mass-media propaganda. But when 12 guys, who used to know very well what they do, were killed, omg omg, je suis charlie, omg omg. I don't CARE. They were on their own risk.

Your oppinion has a true part, but you can't kill so many people like some flies. This is insane! Maybe they had a family, friends, mother, father, wife, children, everything lost by a caricature? This is not the best way to punish them...

• Moderators

To much propaganda regarding this subject..

But, from all the nations in the world.. Charlie Hebdo, picked the one that it's the most dangerous, most fanatic, and started to criticise and make fun of. Why ? Why make a caricature with a terrorist cutting Mahommed's throat ?  Why..just why ?

I'm not saying not to feel sorry about those people, but consider that they are not that innocent as portrayed.

Also, lots of people are dying everyday, in poor countries, but they don't make the 1st page of most of the national/international newspapers.

• Upvote 2

To much propaganda regarding this subject..

But, from all the nations in the world.. Charlie Hebdo, picked the one that it's the most dangerous, most fanatic, and started to criticise and make fun of. Why ? Why make a caricature with a terrorist cutting Mahommed's throat ?  Why..just why ?

I'm not saying not to feel sorry about those people, but consider that they are not that innocent as portrayed.

Also, lots of people are dying everyday, in poor countrie, but they don't make the 1st page of most of the national/international newspapers.

I had a conversation with a classmate about the people which die every day in poor countries. I cannot say that I'm glad about what the terrorists did (I am neutral, btw), but it isn't a way to finish the problems between musulmans and the french press.